The following best practices will help you make the most of your blogging.
- Post in great detail. Aim for 1500 – 2000 words per post.
- Source from your staff. Your blog can have multiple voices and tones to it. If you have a staff member that has something to talk about, give them the platform to do so.
- Try to use the words “you” and “I” in your posts as you would in everyday conversation.
- Make it easy to read. Bold items of importance, use bulleted/numbered lists and line breaks where necessary.
- Remember, what goes online stays online. Of course you can always delete a post, but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a copy of it lurking around somewhere.
- Be consistent. Blogs that are posted to daily receive more traffic and conversions than blogs that are posted to monthly. Set a schedule and be consistent in your posts.
- Share, share, share! Now that you have a consistent blog, it’s time to get people to your site! Social media is a great way to start getting people to your site. Share your posts on twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and LinkedIn just to name a few. Ask friends to share your new blog as well. Then participate and comment on other forums and blogs that are relevant to yours. Be sure to include your blog URL in your signature on any posts you make to other sites and forums.
We’d love to hear about your blogging success. What has worked well for you and what hasn’t? Let us know in the comments.